Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI)
Announcements, News & Current Events
- Pamela Darden is TSBVI's new Chief Financial Officer. Pam comes to TSBVI with years of state service and currently serves as the CFO for the Texas Military Department. Her first day will be on February 22. Pam was the clear choice of the interview committee and was among 8 strong applicants that received interviews. We are pleased that Barney Schulz has agreed to stay on a part time basis during the transition.
- 2016 Texas Focus Conference will be held on June 17th and 18th at the Arlington Hilton Hotel in Arlington, TX. Registration begins in March.
- The Austin Blind Cafe - a mind bending and heart opening experience where the audience indulges in a vegan sensory tasting experience prepared by a local chef, participates in a Q&A with their blind wait staff, and enjoys a concert of original music all in the pitch dark - returns to Austin in 2016
- Our special thanks to Rapid Wristbands in Houston, Texas, for donating holiday gift wristbands to our students! They have ”TSBVI Go Wildcats” in raised braille on the outside and "Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI)" in printed text on the inside. They have also donated “I love UEB” brailled wristbands to all VI students in Texas. THANK YOU!
- H-E-B announces the availability of talking prescription labels for customers who are blind or visually impaired.
- Skyward Family Access, a web-based method for parents to access their student's school information, is now available!
- TSBVI employee Patti Robinson was awarded the RecognizeGood Legend Award for her work with the student LEO club, an affiliate of Lions International, and her volunteer involvement with many community organizations. You can “Say Thanks” to Patti with a vote a day to win $10,000 for All Blind Children of Texas! Your vote counts. Vote today!
- AccessWorld 2015 Accessible Holiday Gift Guide: From Free to Extravagant, Something for Everyone on Your List Great gift ideas for your friend or loved one who is blind or visually impaired from the folks at AFB.
- The DIAGRAM Center is conducting a brief, anonymous survey to track trends in how people with print disabilities obtain and access reading materials electronically. It is designed to take no more than 15 minutes and is intended for people with print disabilities. The answers we receive will help us focus our research and development efforts on the most widely used reading tools and digital reading materials. Even if you aren't able to take the survey, you can help us by sending it to your contacts. The more responses we get, the more impact we can have! The survey is located at https://www.surveymonkey.com/
- FYI - from our friends at AFB: H.R. 3535 The Alice Cogswell and Anne Sullivan Macy Act Introduced
- The Texas Unified English Braille Transition Plan has been released. (Posted 08/25/15)
- 2015-2016 School Calendar in Word and PDF formats.
- Sordoceguera_Información en Español
For additional articles and resources that have been featured on our home page, visit the Home Page Archive.