Welcome to Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI) serves as a special public school in the continuum of statewide placements for students who have a visual impairment. Students, ages 6 through 21, who are blind, deafblind, or visually impaired, including those with additional disabilities, are eligible for consideration for services on the TSBVI campus. It is also a statewide resource to parents of these children and the professionals who serve them, from birth through transition from school.
The other major divisions of TSBVI are: School and Student Services (student admissions and records); the Business, Operations and Technology Division (budgeting, accounting, purchasing, payroll, supply warehouse, maintenance, food service, security, transportation, duplication and technology); and Executive Administration (superintendent's office, human resources, curriculum, legal, internal audit and risk management).
Announcements & Current Events
- 01/26/15 The National Braille Association Spring Professional Development ConferenceSpring Professional Development Conference will be held in Austin, TX, April 16-18, 2015.
- 01/21/15 First U.S. Blind Tennis Tournament held in Mission, Texas
- 01/15/15 President Obama has signed into law the Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act to provide financial support to people with disabilities and their families.
- 01/12/15 Get more information and register for the 2015 Texas Symposium on Deafblindness (February 20-21, 2015) and the special Pre-Conference Event (February 19, 2015)
- 01/06/15 College Scholarship Opportunity: Lighthouse Guild Vision + Health will award several $10,000 college scholarships to selected legally blind applicants. Application deadline: March 31, 2015
- 01/06/15 Take a look! Our very own Laura Hospital is featured on the Perkins Accessible Science website. Her article "Simple Model of a Chromosome" walks students through fun, simple steps to create a model used for identifying the parts of a chromosome.
- 12/02/14 Save the Date: April 14-15, 2015 - National POSB Math / Science Institute. Download information and registration.
New Additions to the Site
- 01/26/15 Updated (Originally Posted 9/19/2014) Q&A: ECC instruction and O&M evaluations - DRAFT GUIDANCE PENDING FINAL RULE ADOPTION
- 01/09/15 News About 2015 Federal Quota Funds - New materials to be ordered in May, 2015.
- 12/04/14 2013-14 TSBVI Annual ReportPDF and DOC
- 10/07/14 Functional Vision Evaluation Checklist for Preverbal and Nonverbal Children - (DOC 143KB)
- 2014 Educating Students with Visual Impairments in Texas: Guidelines and Standard
- 2014 La Educación de Estudiantes con Impedimentos Visuales en Texas: Guías y Normas