It's coming. The new Braille Code the US is adopting begins making news.
Parents and Professionals, Support Staff and Summer School Staff: TSBVI's media library carries all sorts of information - anything from how to access reports for summer school to webinars for the Expanded Core Curriculum and Braille, along with staff videos on specific professional topics such as Braille and Active Learning. And teachers - the items in this media library are informative and professional and provide the next level of instruction for those willing to watch!
Announcements & Current Events
- Charlotte Brown, legally blind pole vaulter, accomplishes her goal of winning a medal in the UIL State Track and Field Meet.
- In January President Obama signed into law the Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act to provide financial support to people with disabilities and their families.
New Additions to the Site
- 06/22/15 2014-15 Comprehensive Programs Community and Student Engagement Report
- 06/12/15 TX SenseAbilities Spring 2015 Articles available in audio (mp3) format!
- 05/11/15 New/Changed Guidelines for Federal Quota Fund Usage (APH materials)
- 02/03/15 ECC Video for Administrators
- 01/26/15 Updated (Originally Posted 9/19/2014) Q&A: ECC instruction and O&M evaluations
- 12/04/14 2013-14 TSBVI Annual Report PDF and DOC
- 2014 Educating Students with Visual Impairments in Texas: Guidelines and Standard
- 2014 La Educación de Estudiantes con Impedimentos Visuales en Texas: Guías y Normas
TSBVI in the News
- TSBVI math instructor Scott Kelley was among the nearly 10,000 classroom teachers, mathematics educators, mathematicians and researchers who attended the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics 2015 Annual Meeting and Exposition in Boston in mid-April to share ideas and network about effective mathematics teaching and learning. He was interviewed by “The center of Math Blog” about his job.
- Is Braille Obsolete? This story, produced by Ryan Kailath with input from TSBVI student Demetria Ober, Superintendent Bill Daugherty, and staffers Kay Pruett, Robert Pierson, Kodie Montgomery, and Carrie Clark, addresses smartphones and technology changing life in the blind and blind education community. It was broadcast on New York NPR station WNYC twice on March 25, 2015. http://www.wnyc.org/story/
- TSBVI Alumni, Fred Lowery, is the subject of a story featured in the Winter 2015 Texas Music magazine.